Wednesday, July 28, 2010

His Mercies Are New Every Morning...

After an extremely gut-wrenching day yesterday, this is the beautiful sky that the Lord blessed us with during dinner!
These are our wonderful interpreters that we worked with...Junior on the left, Charles in the back and Marc-Elie on the right.
This was a view of our clinic in the church building today...triage is the front area, then behind the curtain is where Dr Bourdes sees patients, and then pharmacy in the way back.
Me and 2 of our patients...

We were graced with another beautiful sunset tonight while we were eating dinner...

Praise the Lord for a new day! I have to admit that there was not a lot of motivation to go out and have a "normal" day ( a "normal" day in Haiti is very relative though!) My heart was just so heavy and it was hard to think clearly but then I was greeted by one of my interpreters, Marc-Elie-he told me how thankful he was for me and how I helped his haitian people...I definitely teared up a bit and just felt so humbled. When you work so hard to help give people a chance to live, even though it was slim, its just really difficult to not question if I should have done something different. One of the doctors I have had the privilege of working with reminded us that foreign medical missions is just a reminder of how NOT in control that we ultimately are and that our short time on earth is not what we were made for...we, as Christ-followers, are designed to live for eternity with Him. Back in the states, we are so blessed to have so many resources but its those resources that make us depend on ourselves and not on the Lord.

I was reminded of this scripture today ...

8We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. 9Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 10He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on oura]">[a] behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

Once again, the Lord reminded us that we have to rely on Him to make it through the day and that there are people out there that still need to understand the love of Christ.

And it warmed my heart to know that as were setting our hope on Him, that so many people were "helping us by their prayers." I can't thank all of you who have prayed, sent me encouraging messages, etc...your prayers have literally carried us through this.

Today we went to a new clinic in the mountains called Moyambe...the day went really smooth and we were graced to be able to set up our clinic in their church building instead of under a tarp. And I am so thankful for our amazing driver Harold...he is such a good driver and so caring. I felt so safe with him. And we made it back just as it had started raining and even a bit earlier than expected. It was a blessing to get our re-stocking done and our showers done before dinner. And then we got to once again enjoy an amazing meal overlooking the beach with a beautiful sunset!

Its so hard to believe that I will be leaving here soon...the simplicity of life and great community here has been an amazing gift. And so much of my heart has been permanently imprinted with the events of this trip. It has certainly been one of the hardest trips I have been on, but yet I was taught so much, which I am eternally grateful for. I am so thankful for all of you who have taken the time to just keep up with what is going on down here!


No comments:

Post a Comment